AG’s report falls on deaf ears

Andrew Louw, MPL

DA Northern Cape: Leader

The Democratic Alliance is sorry to say that the Auditor General’s report on the audit outcomes of local government for the financial year ended 30 June 2011, as presented at the Kimberley Tabernacle today, was a complete waste of time. Not because the report was lacking but rather because the recommendations made herein have once again fallen on deaf ears.

It is frustrating to see that year in and year out, the very same issues pertaining to financial mismanagement come up and that instead of things improving they are in fact getting worse. This can be seen in the fact that while 53% of local governments in the Northern Cape received disclaimers in the 2009-10 financial year, in the 2010-2011 financial year a total of 25% have already received disclaimers whilst as many as 34% have still not been finalized due to municipalities submitting their documentation late, or not at all. This said, it is very likely that the outstanding 34% will also receive disclaimers, and if added to the 25%, it gives us a total of 59% of disclaimers.

It is incomprehensible that in this day and age, Supply Chain Processes are still flouted. This can be seen in that uncompetitive or unfair procurement processes increased from 72% to 90%, whilst significant deficiencies in internal control over SCM processes increased from 82% to 90%. With these figures in mind, no one in their right mind would believe that the Northern Caps is striving to achieve its Operation Clean Audit by 2014!

On top of this, the use of consultants used due to lack of necessary technical expertise increased from 78% to 82%. It is no secret that the reason for this is the ANC’s debilitating policy of cadre employment. Instead of attracting skills, they deploy and redeploy card carrying members of the ANC. Local government is nothing more than a political playing field of which we will never see the fruits of service delivery until such time as it becomes professionalized.

The DA challenges the acting Premier and her team of MEC’s, who were all present at the AG’s presentation and whose inefficiency’s were indirectly highlighted as a result of the embarrassing presentation, to take cognizance of the AG’s recommendations. Otherwise, they must simply stop pretending to care about service delivery, admit to the public that they are addicted to power, luxuries and jobs for pals, and tell the AG that they no longer need his assistance, so that he can stop wasting his time preparing well researched reports, which ultimately come to nothing thanks to a dire lack of political will.

Please share this...Email this to someonePrint this pageDigg thisShare on StumbleUponShare on RedditShare on TumblrShare on LinkedInShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Facebook

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *