Khume Ramulifho MPL
DA Gauteng Spokesperson for Education
The Democratic Alliance in Gauteng calls on the provincial government to terminate the Gauteng Online contract with the SMMT Telematics Consortium, that was appointed as the service provider in December 2007. This project has been characterised by poor management and non-adherence to the service level agreement. The DA is extremely concerned that consideration is now being given to renewing this contract which is due to end in December. Gauteng Education MEC Barbara Creecy has avoided all questions regarding the Gauteng Online project. Her failure to take responsibility for this project is disturbing, as many learners from disadvantaged areas are denied an opportunity to learn on computers. The Department of Finance has conducted an internal audit and concluded that:
1. Gauteng Online primary objectives have not been achieved.
2. Schools are not able to effectively implement a technology enabled learning environment.
3. Learners are deprived of opportunities to develop.
4. The IT infrastructure in schools is an under-utilised and,
5. Schools and the Department are not getting value for money in respect of the project.
Concern has been expressed that SMMT may have got this contract due to its political connections. They have utterly failed in this project and need to be replaced with a competent company that can deliver value in this crucial area of education.