Jacques Smalle MP
DA Limpopo Provincial Leader
The DA is deeply concerned about Blouberg Municipality Mayor , Serite Sekgoloane’s behaviour of misusing public coffers on TV sets, cellphones and hi-fi systems while the community members are still without water and sanitation.
City press has reported yesterday that the Mayor purchased 250 Nokia cell phones, JVC plasma screens TV sets and mini hi-fi systems for 42 families at a cost of R292 000, without the council’s approval.
The Mayor also uses the public coffers, employees and municipal equipment to organise his birthday party every year.
The DA view this as a clear abuse of power therefore we demand the Mayor to compile a report within seven days to explain the following:
- His relationship with these 42 families.
- Whether the correct procedure were followed in these purchases of appliances.
- Was these purchases budgeted for?
- His failure to raise this issue during council meetings.
- Why is he using public funds and municipal equipment for his birthday celebrations
Today, the DA will write a letter to the Speaker to call an urgent special council meeting this week for the Mayor to give answers to the council and public at large.