Jack Bloom MPL
DA Gauteng Caucus Leader
I am horrified by the death of four children in a shack fire early this morning at the Dukathole Informal Settlement on the East Rand.
The children stayed with their two mothers and grandmother who survived the blaze but are being treated for smoke inhalation and trauma.
Last year more than 20 people died in shack fires in Gauteng.
Every year, about a thousand shacks burn down every year in Gauteng, mostly due to candles and paraffin stoves.
The Gauteng Provincial Government should pay special attention to preventing fires in informal settlements by promoting solar lights, safe stoves and education in fire prevention methods.
There should be spaces between shacks so that fires don’t spread, and fire exercises so that people know how best to put out fires.
The DA has donated more than 1000 solar-powered lights in Gauteng informal settlements and we hope that people of goodwill will sponsor more of these lights to replace dangerous candles.