George Mari, MPP
DA KZN Spokesperson on Arts and Culture
The Democratic Alliance has called on KwaZulu-Natal Premier, Senzo Mchunu, to clarify whether a recent Cape Town Labour Court ruling – stating that provincial or regional demographics must be used in determining equity targets – will be applied in the province’s Legislature.
The DA has submitted a parliamentary question to the Office of the Premier, in which we call for answers to this question and others regarding the provincial parliament’s employment Equity Act which include;
– What are the Legislature’s Employment Equity Targets?
– Have the targets been met? If not, why not?
– What is the current demographic profile of the Legislature Staff?
– Have the provincial demographics been used to employ staff? If not why not?
– What is the total staff complement in the Legislature? Provide demographic and gender breakdown.
Equity forms an important part of the DA’s vision for an open opportunity society. We call on the Premier to ensure that this important ruling is upheld in the provincial parliament.