Radley Keys, MPP
DA KZN Spokesperson on Transport
The Democratic Alliance in KwaZulu-Natal has called on the province’s Premier, Senzo Mchunu, to provide answers following ongoing delays, along with claims that taxpayers’ money has been abused during the RTI Commission of Inquiry into the deaths of candidate traffic officers late last year.
The DA has today submitted the following parliamentary questions to the Premier;
– Indicate the total allocated budget for the Commission of Inquiry.
– Indicate the actual cost of the Commission to date including a detailed breakdown of legal fees, venue hire, telephone and other communications, administration, computers, stationery, transport, catering, Commissioner’s fees and any other costs incurred by the Commission
– Indicate any other costs still to be met
– Indicate the final total cost of the Commission
– Indicate where additional funds will be sourced from should the final costs exceed the budget
– Indicate when the Report of the Commission of Inquiry will be tabled in the provincial parliament or made public.
The RTI Commission of Inquiry has dragged on for months yet those who lost loved ones are no closer to knowing the truth as funds have dried up.
The DA is disturbed by recent claims that funds have been abused and we want to know exactly how taxpayers’ money has been spent.
The Premier must also clarify if and when the Commission will ever be completed and the outcome made public. As overseer of this province he has a duty to ensure that the process is transparent and that it is concluded without any further delay.