George Mari, MPP
DA KZN Spokesperson on COGTA
The Democratic Alliance in KwaZulu-Natal has launched an inquiry into the sums of money being spent by municipalities when it comes to bodyguards and hired vehicles for councillors and other officials.
The move comes after the DA last month revealed that eThekwini municipality is raking up a monthly bill of R3.2million on these services, mostly for its ANC councillors.
I have today submitted a parliamentary question to KZN COGTA MEC, Nomusa Dube-Ncube, requesting a detailed breakdown of the expenses relating to hired cars and security per municipality.
The following questions have been submitted;
– The total cost for such services within the province?
– The total cost of such services per municipality?
– The beneficiaries of such a service?
– The cost per individual?
– The names of the individuals?
– Whether any of the councillors or officials is contributing towards the cost?
– How long the service has been provided for in each instance?
– The reason for the service being required?
– The legislation being used to provide for such a service?
The shock revelations regarding eThekwini have lifted the lid on what the DA predicts is the wide-scale abuse of taxpayers’ money.
We are determined to flush out this information and expose each and every example of wasteful expenditure for the theft that it is.