Jacques Smalle (MPL)
DA Limpopo Provincial Leader
The DA welcomes the sacking of Executive Mayors, Mayors, Chief whips and Speakers from various municipalities but the DA still believes that there are plenty of Mayors and Speakers in Limpopo who should be recalled.
The DA has noted that there are municipalities that regressed over the last three years and are under-performing. Some municipalities are facing financial irregularities, corruption, bankruptcy, maladministration and mismanagement of funds but their leadership have been omitted and survived the chop.
The following Mayors and Speakers should also be recalled:
- Bela Bela Mayor, Freddy Hlungwane, for his bizarre decision to appoint the current Chief financial Officer (CFO) as the Municipal Manager and promote an ANC local councillor to become the Director of Services without following the correct procedures. National Treasury has also withheld budget allocations amounting to millions of rands as a result of its failure to comply with treasury regulations.
- Thabazimbi Mayor, Patricia Moshito, for her failure to show good leadership and monitor the collapsed R11 million road project meant to repair the road that lead to the entrance to town on the R510. Her municipality owes Eskom more than R54 million. She allegedly increased the Municipal Manager’s salary without the council’s knowledge. They both awarded tenders to their close allies without following correct procedures.
- Blouberg Municipality’s Speaker, Maria Thamaga, for using the letterhead of the municipality to seek legal advice from a firm of Attorneys without being approved by council. It is alleged that the municipality paid more than R200,000 for this service. She is also facing Crimen injuria cases for insulting her follow councillors and abuse of power.
- Molemole Municipality Mayor, Pauline Makgato, for her failure to monitor the R13 million Madikana/Matipana road project, and for wwarding tenders to her ANC friends. She failed to take action against the MM who paid a service provider more than R300,000 without council approval.
- Lepelle Nkumpi Mayor, Ivy Phaahla, and Speaker, Nakedi Kekana, for failing to take action against the Municipal Manager for mismanagement and financial irregularities that amounted to more than R50 million in irregular expenditure.
These are Mayors and Speakers who deserve the chop due to their mismanagement of funds and the huge service delivery backlogs that have accrued as a result.
The DA urges Premier Mathabatha to further crack the whip and recall these Mayors and Speakers with immediate effect.
As it stands now, it would seem that the mayors who were removed were not removed to improve service delivery, but rather removed to settle old political scores.