Veliswa Mvenya MPL
Shadow MEC for Social Development
The department of Public Works Mthatha regional office is in need of intervention. An audit report revealed that the department of Public Works in Mthatha purchased building materials amounting to over R1 million which have never been utilized. Click here to view the audit report findings.
Information that has been revealed to the Democratic Alliance also shows that the current Regional Manager of Public Works in Mthatha, Nomzingisi Tukela, is underqualified for the position that she holds; the following information was revealed to the DA:
- Some vacancies have allegedly not been filled and this affects service delivery within the Mthatha region;
- There is a high rate of unfair disciplinary action by the Regional Manager;
- Amatola Water was allegedly appointed to complete a project for the department but this was not an open call for tenders – supply chain processes were not followed;
- The procurement section and legal services was allegedly not included in the selection of a tender for the project;
- Approximately R1, 1 million was spent on building materials e.g paint, cement and fencing yet none of these materials have been used to date.
Miss Tukela allegedly has her national senior certificate with no higher education qualifications under her name yet she holds a position which requires a 3 year tertiary qualification. Click here to view her certificates.
This matter must be investigated; the appointment of underqualified public servants and the wasteful expenditure of public funds is unacceptable. The Democratic Alliance will be submitting questions about this issue.