Debbie Schafer, MPP
Western Cape Minister of Education
Today I paid my first visit to the NSC examination paper vault to assess security arrangements ahead of the 2014 National Senior Certificate examinations.
The vault, which contains the 2014 NSC examination papers, is under strict security surveillance to ensure that there are no possible leakages or irregularities.
It is the intention of the WCED to ensure that the examination process is equal and fair, therefore strict security arrangements are necessary to ensure the integrity of the examinations.
Security measures include:
- Each paper is printed and packaged in the Province and is immediately sealed so that it cannot be tampered with.
- Each member of the staff has been screened and is monitored closely by security cameras. No cellphones are allowed.
- Every examination paper is bar-coded when printed to enable us to track every paper. Each candidate also has to place a bar-coded sticker on their examination script. This sticker enables the department to track every script through the entire examinations process. They are also then requested to fill in their unique examination number.
- Learners are also monitored during the examinations and markers have been trained to identify any irregularities in the examination.
- Invigilators were trained to be extremely vigilant and pupils are warned of severe penalties if caught cheating. (Please see attached statement as reference.)
I am certainly impressed with the arrangements that have been put in place. This is a huge logistical exercise that requires careful planning and tight management. While we cannot always predict some extreme circumstances, I am confident that the Department have made all the necessary arrangements to avoid, where possible, any irregularities.
I would like to thank all the dedicated WCED officials for their dedication and commitment to ensuring the validity, credibility and smooth running of the 2014 NSC examinations.
I look forward to a peaceful and fair examination process and am confident that we will ensure that every candidate in the Western Cape receives his/ her paper on time.