By Frank Haas, DA councillor at Polokwane Municipality:
The DA welcomes a decision to immediately suspend the Polokwane Municipal Manager, Constance Mametja, on allegations of supply chain violations and the subsequent appointment of an independent investigator.
As Mametja has been suspended on full pay, the DA calls for an urgent and speedy finalisation of investigations into Mametja, with a quick and fair decision on the outcome from the investigator.
A prolonged internal processes could cost the Polokwane taxpayer millions of rands, which must be avoided.
The decision to suspend Ms Mametja was based on numerous allegations including:
- Appointing service providers and awarding tenders without following the correct procedures;
- Failure to ensure that advertised bids were evaluated, adjudicated and finalised;
- Delays in implementing approved Municipal projects such as a car wash, African Market and Itsoseng
- Failure to take action against the CFO for contravening the supply chain management
- Underspending the municipality’s service delivery budget
- Failure to ensure that service providers sign service level agreements
The DA calls on any allegations against section 56 managers which may be involved, to be investigated.