By Rodney Lentit, DA MPP, DA Western Cape Spokesperson on Environmental Affairs:
Tuesday, May 26, 2015 – The Democratic Alliance’s Spokesperson on Environmental Affairs and Development Planning, RODNEY LENTIT – MPP, said, “I am confident that the Department of Environmental Affairs and Development Planning is committed to the cause of transformation in its employment equity, to benefit women, in particular, and reflect the Western Cape’s population diversity.”
Mr Lentit noted During the tabling of the Department’s 2013/14 Annual Report, The Standing Committee saw the need of a follow-up briefing to make sure that the department follows the programme to reflect race and gender in its employment representation. Today’s briefing shows this department’s progress on Transformation and Employment Equity and that they meet the national transformation and employment requirements.
Mr Lentit also highlighted these aspects:
- There is a noticeable shortage of suitable skills, as more than half of the applicants did not meet the requirements;
- The Department has a critical skills-recognition and development relationship with University of Cape Town. This relationship should be extended to all other universities and higher learning institutions in the Western Cape. That will expose more candidates to employment opportunities to the province’s Human Capital Development Plan.
- Over the past 20 years, the female gender distribution have changed from 48% to 58%.
- Women in senior management positions increased from 8% to 40%.
- The planning of scarce skills development, such as Town and Regional Planners and Environmental Officers, remains challenging
Mr Lentit concluded, “I am encouraged that Minister Anton Bredell and his Department is committed to reflect the Western Cape’s regional demography, without eroding efficiency and competency. Human resource development and capacity building is critical as an essential component of change and institution building. As Spokesperson for the DA on Environmental Affairs and Development Planning I am looking forward to the progress of this Department on employment equity at the end of this financial year.”