By, Beverley Schäfer MPP, DA Western Cape Spokesperson on Economic Opportunities, Tourism and Agriculture:
A headline in the opinion pages of the Argus caught my eye and got me thinking: It’s a piece by Mike Wills, called, “While the president was dancing…” So Mr Wills, forgive me as write my own version of the same headline with a slight change.
- While the president is dancing, South Africa is on a knife’s edge as our latest job stats paint a bleak picture
- While the president is dancing South Africa’s unemployment rate in the first quarter of 2015 rose to its highest level since 2003 currently sitting at 26.4%.
- While the president is dancing, 5.5million people are without work up from 4.9million in the last quarter of 2014.
- While the president is dancing, the Western Cape created 91 000 jobs while unemployment increased in Provinces of North West and Limpopo.
- While the president is dancing, public entities are imploding and we have lost 37% of our generating capacity since 1994.
- While the president is dancing, the families of Marikina still have no closure because he rather protect his friends than provide justice
- While the president is dancing ANC’s Mathews Phosa says BEE has failed to reduce poverty and inequality,
- While the president is dancing, Vavi says, “we have a national emergency. No country can survive such levels of unemployment and low growth”
- While the president is dancing, corruption is at its highest and the morale of South Africa is at its lowest.
Yet while the president is dancing, he says, “You can’t just take Parliament as another place, as if it is a kindergarten. It is a serious matter….”
So says the dancing president while his people, our economy and our people are suffering.