The following speeches were delivered in the Gauteng Provincial Legislature today by the DA’s Spokesperson for Finance in Gauteng, Ashor Sarupen MPL, and Shadow MEC for Finance, Mike Moriarty MPL during the 2015/16 Annual Budget Debate on the Department of Finance.
Ashor Sarupen MPL
DA Gauteng Spokesperson for Finance
“Broadband: Unlocking opportunities through connectivity”
- United Nations research has shown that for every 10% that you increase broadband penetration in a low and middle income country; you see a corresponding GDP growth rise of 1.4%.
- We live in a country characterised by high unemployment, high inequality and high levels of poverty.
- Over a million ADSL lines in this country go unused because the Telkom monopoly prices consumers out of the market. We are losing out on economic growth and the creation of jobs every day because of this.
The full speech can be obtained here.
Mike Moriarty MPL
DA Gauteng Shadow MEC for Finance
“Corruption will continue to rob Gauteng residents of opportunities”
- Corruption robs ordinary citizens of money and services. Public officials or politicians involved in corruption prey on the public purse. The people who are hurt most are the poor and most vulnerable members of our society.
- To stamp out corruption you must be swift, decisive and correct.
- If the DA were in charge there would be fair processes for both the staff and the public on whose behalf we operate.
- People should be served by an honest and hard-working provincial government.
The full speech can be obtained here