By Jacqueline Theologo (MPL), DA North West Spokesperson on Local Government and Human Settlements:
The Democratic Alliance in North West will submit a motion in the North West Provincial Legislature after Premier Supra Mahumapelo convened a special sitting of Bokone Bophirima Premier’s Coordinating Council (BBPCC) to discuss water and sanitation services in the Province, but excluded MPL’s from the event.
This special sitting was held in Potchefstroom and the Tlokwe Local Municipality. Representatives from the Development Bank of Southern Africa, Eskom, Magalies Water, Sedibeng Water, Members of Executive Council (MECs), Mayors, Heads of Departments and Municipal Managers were in attendance.
The DA believes the exclusion of MPL’s from an important sitting does not promote transparency. It is a pity that the DA had to read about the event in the media. Access at the event was controlled and DA members were turned away when they showed up.
The North West is one of the poorest provinces struggling to get rid of the bucket system. Sewage leaks is a familiar sight and the provincial government cannot ensure sustainable water supply to communities.
The DA is of the impression that this was just another face-saving event by the provincial government. The importance of water and sanitation cannot be stretched enough as these are a few of the challenges the DA had to assist with in the past week months:
- Water running in the streets, close to schools and old age homes in Coligny
- No water in Stilfontein from time to time due to poor maintenance to the reservoir
- Water shortages in Rustenburg, Madibeng and Coligny
- Sewage overflows in Zeerust, Madibeng, Groot- Marico
- Rebiole sewage seeping out of the holding tanks
- Matlosana sewage system overflowing
- Mahikeng water tastes bad
- Zeerust/Lehurutshe regulare water shortages
- Blydeville sewage overflows – running amidst houses
- Lichtenburg and Itsoseng constant water shortages
The DA will submit a motion at the next sitting, demanding answers and a debate on the matter.