By Beverly Schäfer MPP, DA Western Cape Spokesperson on Economic Opportunities, Tourism and Agriculture:
The Western Cape Departments of Agriculture and Economic Development and Tourism have spent more than R32 million on the Kannaland municipality between 2011 and 2014.
The Department of Agriculture put in place initiatives that are aimed at improving access to opportunity, amounting to R31,589,322.
These initiatives include:
- Distributing learnership and HET application forms to students at Ladismith Secondary
- Distributing learnership and HET application and bursary forms at Kentland Municipality
- Farm worker development where Life skills and substance abuse awareness and prevention for farm worker took place
- R50 000 Donation towards farm worker initiatives during the Calitzdorp Port and Wine Festival
- R72,239 donation to Child and family Welfare in Ladismith for Life skills development
The Department of Economic Development and Tourism also has initiatives in place, which include business retention and expansion training, tools to measure economic potential and develop action plans as well as Local Economic Development Maturity assessments. The Department of Economic Development committed a total of R1,600,690.
These are only some of the initiatives that are run by the Western Cape Government in its dedicated effort to ensure that not only basic services are supplied to the Kannaland region, but providing opportunities to the communities.