By Chris Hattingh (MPL), DA North West Caucus Leader Provincial Legislature:
The Democratic Alliance in the North West is concerned after a public meeting scheduled in the Office of the Premier was abruptly ended today after it became clear that officials were not properly prepared for it.
The North West Provincial Legislature’s Portfolio Committee on Premier, Finance, Economy and Enterprise Development met with the delegation from the Office of the Premier today.
The delegation provided incorrect financial figures to the Portfolio Committee and could not provide information regarding previous Legislature resolutions pertaining to the Auditor General’s report of previous years.
The committee sent the delegation along with North West Director General, Dr Lydia Sebego, packing and ordered them to prepare themselves properly.
The Office of the Premier has to account to the AG following findings:
- For the 2014/15 financial year the Office of the Premier failed to spend R67, 865M increasing its underspending from 2% in 2013/14 to 9% in 2014/15
- Unauthorised expenditure of R16M in respect to previous years which had not been dealt with in accordance with Section 34 of the PFMA
- Irregular expenditure of R32 257 000 incurred in the current financial year
- R236 856 000 in irregular expenditure that is still waiting condonation
- Fruitless and wasteful expenditure of R22 800 000 for the current year and R880 000 spending from prior years has not been resolved
Furthermore the DA is concerned that Youth Development in the North West has failed for yet another year. The following reasons were provided in the Premier’s Annual Report:
- The annual plan of action on Youth Development could not be established due to capacity constraints
- Youth Entrepreneurship Services was not taking place due to changes taking place in the Office of the Premier
It is concerning that the Office of the Premier which is supposed to champion the North West Provincial Government failed to account to the Portfolio Committee on its annual reports specifically the AG’s findings.
It appears that the ANC governing party is more concerned with window dressing to impress voters for the upcoming local elections than providing quality service delivery and clean governance.
The North West government has been devastated by mismanagement, wasteful and over-expenditures, all because of a government that places the needs of unqualified cadres ahead of the needs of its people.
In the 2014/15 financial year, the DA-led Western Cape received 100% clean audit report. This is the same outcomes we want to deliver in the North West when we are elected to govern.