The following speeches were delivered in the Gauteng Provincial Legislature today by the DA’s Glenda Steyn MPL and Paul Willemburg MPL during the SCOPA report 2014/15 annual performance of the Department of Health.
Glenda Steyn MPL
“Department of Health diagnosed as terminally ill”
- How can it be, in the 21st century, in this technological age, that the Gauteng Department of Health has inferior patient records and information systems?
- The Department acknowledges that they experience regular system interruptions which results in backlogs in capturing patient records. This is a problem for which solutions were developed not only in the last decade but in the last millennium.
- The slow rate of improvement can never keep up with an ever growing population and the speed at which medical science moves. Are we, the residents of Gauteng, fated with an inadequate public health care system for the next 20 years?
- The only way we can save this department is with a change of government. Roll on 2019!
The full speech can be obtained here.
Paul Willemburg MPL
“Lack of political will impairing the improvement of the department”
- Year after year we are told of the wonderful measures and interventions that have been put in place to improve the situation. The buzz phrase ‘Turn-around-Strategy’ has been bandied about so many times that one wonders if officials in this Department know which way they are facing.
- Medical Liabilities in the year under review amounted to R71 million; up from the R42 million in 2013/14 and R10 million in 2012/13.
- We still find that invoices are not paid within the legislated 30 days amounting to approximately R556 million.
The full speech can be obtained here