By Roy Jankielsohn, Leader of the Official Opposition in the Free State Provincial Legislature:
The below motion was tabled by Roy Jankielsohn (MPL) and adopted by the National Council of Provinces (NCOP) during its sitting in Cape Town today.
03 November 2015
On behalf of the Democratic Alliance I hereby wish to move without notice that Council notes-
- That the severe drought facing our country has the potential to impact negatively on food security and political stability;
- That food security was one of the major reasons for the so called Arab Spring uprisings in Egypt, which emphasizes the role of food security in securing political stability;
- That, besides ensuring food security, the agricultural sector in the country play an important role in ensuring social and economic stability through their income generation and job creation in rural communities;
- That Council calls on government to support the agricultural community through drought relief and by ensuring that policy and legislative proposals do not cause additional stress on a sector that is already vulnerable and facing an exodus of skills and expertise that have taken many generations to create;
- That Council recognizes the contributions of subsistence, emerging and commercial farmers who continue to produce food for our nation.
I so move.