The following speeches were delivered in the Gauteng Provincial Legislature on 01 December 2015 by the DA’s Refiloe Nt’sekhe MPL and Ashor Sarupen MPL during a debate on the 2014/15 Annual Report for the Department of Social Development.
Refiloe Nt’sekhe MPL
“Social Development Department continues to fail the most vulnerable”
- It seems that the department has done away with trying to empower companies of people with disabilities as this does not even feature any more.
- It is encouraging that all the children in foster care receive social work services. The Western Cape has taken this a step further by providing training for care-givers and parents, with 5,721 beneficiaries this year.
- If the youth account for 70% unemployment in South Africa, then I can only ask that the department should do much more, so please expand the soft targets looking at the real despair of youth with regards to unemployment.
The full speech can be obtained here.
Ashor Sarupen MPL
“Poor policy undermines social stability”
- If one takes the narrow view of just looking at audited financial statements, one would say that the department is performing very well – with an unqualified audit opinion. However, when one actually looks at the spending patterns and performance of the department against plans and targets, a very troubling picture about the state of our society emerges.
- I hope that every ANC member takes a long, hard look at the social development annual report and sees the social needs out there and forces the party to change its economic track to a high growth, job creating economy.
- If we do not take steps to turn this situation around soon, we will reach a point where no amount of social welfare and development programmes will be sufficient to address our problems.
The full speech can be obtained here