Today, members of the DA caucus in the Free State Provincial Legislature will pose oral questions to Premier Ace Magashule and members of his Executive Council.
This scheduled oral questions session is a victory for the DA who fought for more than a year in Whips’ Committee meetings to set time aside that would allow members of the legislature to hold the Executive to account, as MPLs are constitutionally mandated to do.
The Leader of the Official Opposition, Roy Jankielsohn (MPL) will ask the following questions to The Premier of the Free State, Ace Magashule:
- Who are the implicated parties as identified in the National Treasury commissioned report by JGL Forensics into the contracts between the Office of the Premier and Letlaka Communications;
- Whether the Office of the Premier requested law enforcement agencies “to thoroughly investigate the allegations and findings within the report and take appropriate action” as requested by then National Finance Minister, Pravin Gordhan; if not, why not; if so, what are the relevant details?
And to to the MEC for Agriculture and Rural Development, Mosebenzi Zwane:
- Whether disciplinary action was instituted against senior officials, as recommended in a report following investigations by the Office of the Accountant General in the department of National Treasury into the appointment of ESTINA as a partner in the Vrede Dairy project; if not, why not; if so, what are the relevant details?
The DA Caucus Chairperson, James Letuka (MPL) will ask the following question to the MEC for Cooperative Governance, Traditional Affairs and Human Settlements, Olly Mlamleli:
- How will the MEC prevent ESKOM from scheduling punitive blackouts in those Free State municipalities that have defaulted on paying their ESKOM accounts?
Mariette Pittaway (MPL) will ask the following question to the MEC for Education, Tate Makgoe:
- Whether the department is experiencing difficulties in the payment of (a) salaries to newly appointed teachers and (b) school subsidies; if not, how was this conclusion reached; if so, what are the reasons?
Leona Kleynhans (MPL) will ask the following question to the MEC for Police, Roads and Transport, Butana Khompela:
- How many (a) cases of illegal farm evictions were reported to and investigated by the SAPS in the Free State during the period 1 January 2012 to 31 December 2014, (b) people were charged and (c) convicted?
The details of the oral questions session are as follows:
Date: Today, Thursday, 21 May 2015
Venue: The Chamber of the Fourth Raadzaal, President Brand Street, Bloemfontein